Motorcycle accidents can be among the most severe and devastating types of accidents on the road. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are 27 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle mile traveled. Additionally, motorcyclists are five times more likely to be injured than passenger car occupants.
Because motorcyclists are not as protected as those driving a car, even minor accidents can result in severe injuries or death. In the event of a motorcycle accident, it is important to seek immediate medical attention and legal representation to protect your rights and seek the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Distracted driving: When drivers are distracted by texting, using a cell phone, eating, or engaging in other activities while driving, they may not see motorcyclists on the road.
- Speeding: When drivers exceed the speed limit or drive too fast for road conditions, they may lose control of their vehicles and collide with motorcyclists.
- Failure to yield: Drivers who fail to yield the right of way to motorcyclists at intersections or while changing lanes can cause accidents.
- Intoxication: Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol may be unable to safely operate their vehicles, lea;ding to accidents.
- Poor road conditions: Uneven surfaces, potholes, and debris on the road can cause motorcyclists to lose control of th;eir bikes.
Injuries Resulting from Motorcycle Accidents
The injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents can be severe and life-altering. Common injuries include:
- Head injuries: Head injuries are a leading cause of death and disability in motorcycle accidents. Even when a helmet is worn, motorcyclists can suffer traumatic brain injuries that can lead to long-term health complications.
- Broken bones: Motorcyclists can suffer from fractures and broken bones in accidents, which can require surgery and lengthy recovery times.
- Road rash: When a motorcyclist is thrown from their bike in an accident, they may suffer from road rash, which is a type of friction burn that can cause permanent scarring.
- Spinal cord injuries: Motorcycle accidents can result in spinal cord injuries, which can cause paralysis or other long-term disabilities.
- Emotional trauma: Motorcycle accidents can be traumatic experiences, and victims may suffer from emotional trauma, including anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Legal Help for Motorcycle Accident Victims
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, it is important to seek legal representation from an experienced personal injury attorney. A skilled attorney can help you navigate the complexities of the legal system and fight for your rights to receive compensation for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
At Bay Area Personal Injury Law Firm, we are committed to helping our clients receive the justice and compensation they deserve. Our team of experienced attorneys has helped countless clients recover after motorcycle accidents, and we are prepared to fight for you.
In addition to helping you pursue a legal claim, our team can connect you with medical professionals, rehabilitation specialists, and other resources to help you on your road to recovery. We are here to support you every step of the way.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We can help you understand your legal rights and options, and we can help you build a strong case for compensation. Don’t wait to seek help after a motorcycle accident. We are here to help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.