If you’ve been injured on the job, you may be asking can I get money if my employer doesn’t have workers’ comp? If you are in California, the good news is that worker’s compensation insurance is mandatory for employers in California. It provides benefits to employees who get injured on the job or suffer from a work-related illness. However, not all employers comply with this requirement, leaving their workers vulnerable and exposed to financial hardship in case of an accident. If you find yourself in this situation, don’t lose hope. You may still be able to pursue a claim and get compensation through the Uninsured Employers Benefits Trust Fund (UEBTF).
What is the Uninsured Employers Benefits Trust Fund (UEBTF)?
The UEBTF is a state-run program that provides benefits to employees who get injured or sick because of their job, but their employer doesn’t have worker’s compensation insurance. This program is funded by penalties paid by uninsured employers, so it doesn’t use taxpayer money. The UEBTF can provide medical treatment, temporary disability benefits, permanent disability benefits, and death benefits to eligible workers. However, the benefits are limited and may not cover all your losses. More information is available on the California Department of Industrial Relations website.
How Does the UEBTF Work?
If your employer doesn’t have worker’s compensation insurance, you can file a claim with the UEBTF. The process is similar to filing a worker’s compensation claim, but you need to prove that your employer was uninsured at the time of your injury or illness. The UEBTF will investigate your claim and decide if you’re eligible for benefits. If your claim is approved, the UEBTF will pay for your medical treatment and disability benefits, if applicable. However, the UEBTF may also deny your claim if it determines that you’re not eligible or that your injury or illness wasn’t work-related.
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing a Claim Through the UEBTF?
If your employer doesn’t have worker’s compensation insurance, you may be tempted to give up and assume that you have no options. However, pursuing a claim through the UEBTF can bring you several benefits, such as:
- Medical treatment: If you’re injured or sick because of your job, you need medical treatment to recover. The UEBTF can pay for your medical expenses, so you don’t have to worry about paying out of pocket or relying on your health insurance. This can be especially helpful if you have a pre-existing condition that makes your treatment more expensive or complicated.
- Disability benefits: If your injury or illness prevents you from working, you may be eligible for disability benefits. The UEBTF can provide temporary or permanent disability benefits, depending on the nature and severity of your condition. These benefits can help you replace your lost income and support your family while you’re unable to work.
- Legal protection: Pursuing a claim through the UEBTF can also protect your legal rights. You may need to hire a worker’s compensation attorney to help you navigate the process and negotiate with the UEBTF. An attorney can also advise you on your rights and obligations and represent you in court if necessary.
What Are the Limitations of Pursuing a Claim Through the UEBTF?
While the UEBTF can provide valuable benefits to injured or sick workers, it’s not a perfect solution. Some of the limitations of pursuing a claim through the UEBTF include:
- Limited benefits: The benefits provided by the UEBTF are limited and may not cover all your losses. For example, the UEBTF may only pay a percentage of your lost income, and the disability benefits may not last forever. You may still need to find other sources of income or support to make ends meet.
- Eligibility requirements: To be eligible for benefits, you need to prove that your employer was uninsured and that your injury or illness was work-related. This can be challenging if your employer denies that you
Reach out to Anderson Franco if you have more questions
In conclusion, if you’ve been injured on the job and your employer doesn’t have workers’ compensation insurance in California, you still have options. The UEBTF is there to provide benefits to employees who have been injured on the job and their employers are uninsured or underinsured. Pursuing a claim through UEBTF can be a complex process, but with the help of an experienced attorney, you can ensure that you receive the benefits you are entitled to. Remember, it’s important to act quickly and seek legal advice as soon as possible after an injury occurs.
A skilled attorney like Anderson Franco can help you navigate the process, protect your rights, and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Anderson can also help you understand if there are other matters which you can pursue, benefits of speaking with a lawyer are outlined in this article. Don’t hesitate to reach out for help if you find yourself in this situation.
Watch this video to learn more about UEBTF: